Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ok well one week in and already I can't get another pick wrong if I want to beat my record (8 of 11 correct). I was surprised by the Packers and stunned by the Seahawks. The fact that that has happened has made picking winners this season near impossible for even professionals, let alone myself. I'll do my best though and hopefully I get them right. Before I get started on the picks, I want to post about that game.

It was by far my favorite Seahawks game that I have ever been to (previously, it was the game vs. Dallas a couple years ago where Tony Romo screwed up the snap, costing his team the win). Usually, the 12th man is super loud before the game and then as the game progresses, gets quieter to loud levels of other stadiums. This game, everyone was excited. We were in the playoffs and happy to be there even though we had a losing record. It maintained the loud volume THE ENTIRE GAME. Almost everyone was on their feet the entire time. Whenever our team was on defense, the stands were loud. I couldn't hear a person 3 feet away from me. We were even so loud, we were reported to have caused a seismic tremor when Marshawn Lynch ran that beautiful ninja touchdown. The atmosphere was amazing and the stands remained full the whole game. It was nice to see players on the team getting pumped up and it was refreshing to not see Drew Brees walk out like the god he is made out to be. The Seahawks defense made him look like any other mortal. That being said, time to get my picks on.

Ravens at Steelers: Ravens by 3 points:
I'm picking some upsets this week hoping that I get some right. The Steelers have faced Baltimore twice this season since they're both in the same division. The two teams split the season, each one winning on their away game surprisingly enough. The teams seem to be evenly matched this year, but I give the edge to Baltimore because I think they want it more and they are going to be capable of doing it. Plus, they're on the road so if the past season taught us anything, that means they're going to win.

Packers at Falcons: Packers by 7 points:
Yeah, I'm going with another upset here. I wasn't sure about the Packers, but after seeing them play last week, I think they can do it. Matt Ryan is a great quarterback with a great record (especially at home (only 2 losses in I think 22 games)), but Aaron Rodgers is also great. Their records this season are actually pretty similar. The Falcons were 13-3 while the Packers were 10-6. That may seem different to you, but consider that Matt Ryan played every game for the Falcons. Aaron Rodgers missed a couple. In those he missed, there were some bad losses. In the end, only four of the Packers' losses this season came while Aaron Rodgers was playing more than 5 minutes. I think that even though this is at home, the Packers are going to be a contender for the Superbowl and they'll come through the Falcons (and hopefully Seattle) to do it.

Seahawks at Bears: Bears by less than 5 points:
I just can't do it. I can't pick the Seahawks. I sure don't mind being proven wrong by them though. I think that both teams are actually pretty evenly matched, but I don't know if Hasselbeck has it in him to play as well in an away game as he did last week at home. Once again though, I would like to point out that I'm calling this game close. I did this last week too because I want to acknowledge that the Seahawks really do have a fighting chance in this as I thought they did last week. I was surprised when they acted on that fighting chance last week and won, but I don't know if they can do it again, even though they beat the bears once this season. If the Seahawks win, I probably won't pick them over Green Bay, but boy would I like to see that as well. I think the game will be very close, but in the end, I'll be rooting for the Seahawks, even at the expense of my record.

Jets at Patriots: Patriots by 10 points:
Can't both of these teams lose? They are my least favorite teams in all of football. I always hate when they play each other because it means one of them will have to win. I don't know what I want to see more, a loss for my least favorite team the Patriots, or the smug grin to be wiped off Rex Ryan's face with another 45-3 blowing out of the Jets like in week 13. In the end, it doesn't matter because I will be unhappy that either team is making it into the AFC Championship game and I will be rooting for the winner of the Steelers/Ravens game, though I hope it's the Ravens because God am I sick of seeing the AFC only offer up 3 different teams (Steelers, Patriots, and Colts(well not so sick of them :] )) to the Superbowl year after year. The Patriots are on fire though and it seems a safe call to pick them.

Ok well that's it for this week. Hopefully I'm right on all my picks but the Seahawks game. Here's hoping for an upset and a return to Qwest field (only if the Packers win, otherwise we head to Georgia for yet another postseason rematch).

No comments: